Thursday, April 24, 2008

Flowers and a Clean House


So, I have been busy; really busy! Sadly, I am just not doing anything that is very exciting and "blog" worthy. I see that my frequency of posting is taking a nose dive pretty fast; sorry. I am trying! What can I say? I am boring. :)

ANYWAY, the last couple of days has been consumed with trying to get my quilting group on track with templates/patterns in hand. I planned a large get-together, made snacks, bought my fabric and convinced Dana to create a pattern of a sanshin for me for my quilt square assignment. Oh, for those that don't know, I need to fill you in on the quilt. It is an Okinawa Memory quilt. I have gathered 20 women to make 20 squares for a quilt. Each woman picked a theme (sanshin, sushi, taiko drum, dragon boat etc) and will make 20 identical 10x10 inch squares for the quilts. We have 6 months to complete our squares and then at the end of 6 months, we pass our squares out to the 20 in our group and in return get a square from each of them. In the end you have 20 different Okinawa themed squares to create a quilt from. Yay!

So, the last couple of days I have been busy with getting our get together, well... put together. :) So, after a busy and very productive several hours this morning at our get-together, I was beat. I dragged myself into the apartment awaiting the disaster zone that I had left it this morning. You know the scene, cereal bowls still on the table, couch cusions everywhere, blankets for the "forts" drapped all over the couch cushions, dishes in the sink and laundry waiting for me. Ahh, home sweet home. BUT, to my complete suprise I walked into a sparkling clean home! For a moment I was very confused..."what the....?" It seems that my sweet husband had come home during his lunch break, cleaned the house for me and then left me these beautiful flowers. How sweet is that?! How lucky am I to have such a thoughtful husband. So, thank you again Dana for being so great. You stayed up with me late into the night making a pattern for me and then came home at lunch to clean up. I love you!

Oh, so I bet you are all wondering about my nifty vase for my flowers. Ya, well...when you move as often as we do that collection of glass vases that you all have under your kitchen sink or up in a cupboard doesn't really exist for me. So, I improvise! Also, a note of interest for those home in the States...we can't buy gallons of milk here, just these half gallon cartons. Why? I have no idea. Ahh, the good life.

9 comments:

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

I always get a wonderful glimpse at what life in Oki will be like when I read your blog. I love it! I'm bummed I'm a year late on the whole quilting group. I recently have gotten into quilting and I love it! Maybe I'll have to take a picture of your completed project and recreate it in a few years, with your permission of course. Oh, by the way, we got our flight schedule and we arrive on July 3rd. We're soooooooooo excited! Have a great day.

thekerrclan said...

The quilt sounds like such a great idea. Why didn't you organize something like that for Cleveland? I'm sure we could have come up with all kinds of squares - -and not all of them would have been related to snow!

Micheal Green said...

Sis,

In regards to your blog and ensuing flowers... If you could do me a favor and tell Dana to knock it the heck off. He is making the rest of us husbands look bad.

All the best,

Mike

Alisha Green said...

Hmmm, no comment. ;)

But really the quilt sounds neat. You'll of course have to post pics when it is finished.

And I love the bright blue flowers. They match the milk carton well!

Cathryn said...

LOL Mike. What can I say? I have the best husband ever. *grin*

Yay Melissa! A flight plan is exciting. Soon you will be mingling with all of us beach bumms. Also, I am just following the lead of another lady that had done a "quilt group" so by all means, go right ahead!

Tacie- in Cleveland all I could do was "survive" with my crazy-never want to sleep-high maintenance babies! Who has time to quilt? :)

MaryAnn said...

I saw all the squares from the last group - so cute! It made me wonder for just a moment if I could actually try to quilt. Then reality struck and I realized that would be so selfish of me to give my horrible squares and get such good ones in return. I've repented for my thoughts and am now just admiring from afar. :) And coveting a little...

Cathryn said...

If a spot becomes available (due to a drop-out) I will know just who to call...Maryann! :) We are all learning together as a group, you would fit right in.

Miriam said...

I didn't know that you were a quilter. I would love to see the squares that your working on and also the whole quilt when your done. Sounds like an exciting project.

Sarah Buma said...

I love this post...that's all I can say.